How do you find ARV if comps are spread out?

2 Replies

I am looking at a townhome that needs a bit of TLC. The wholesaler is offering a little bit over 55k that needs about 5k in repairs. He suggested $77k ARV. I've looked at comparable properties with the same sqft, bdrm, bathroom. The numbers are:

#1 $52,000 DOM: 2 days

#2 $55,000 DOM: 12 days

#3 $70,000 DOM: 11 days

#4 $79,000 DOM: 66 days

#5* $87,500 DOM: 10 days

*The first 4 are from same subdivision.

How would you figure out what the ARV would be from those numbers?

If I were to do a cash-refinance, how can I prove to the bank that it's at least $77k after repairs. 

I would say it is going to depend on what the condition of those homes are...and I would definitely look at the first four comps over the last one in a different sub.  Look at the finishes for number 3 & 4 and plan on being on the same level of those.  Location of the unit, views, etc. will also play a factor.  In my experience, the bank will make their own assessment of value - so you need to feel comfortable that the comps speak for themselves.   

@Jonna Weber  Thanks!  I didn't think about the location and view of the units. #3-4 are a bit more up to date.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.