Best bank loan for buy and hold with low down payment?

3 Replies

My wife and I have been trying to teach our oldest son responsible money management, savings, and investing. He joined the Army this past summer, and has since been blowing his money on frivolous things since, like most teenagers of course. So we've been thinking, whats another good way to insure he has some type of financial bonus if/when he decides to get out in 4 years, and this is what we came up with.

We've been talking to him about buying a rental. Of course if his credit and income allow. Prior to joining I had him get a CC to start building credit, and he has, paying on time, low balance, etc. Coupled with the super cheap houses for sale in our area, we think he would qualify. The price range we're thinking is 20-40k, there is an abundance here. We also would have to look into power of attorneys to take care of all of this on his behalf.

Of course he wouldn't be able to use his VA, as its' not a house he would be living in. But what other loan possibilities are there? The houses we're looking at are fixer uppers, and I don't know how things like homepath or other programs work with investment properties.

The broad plan is for the rental to be a nightly/weekly/weekend rental duplex preferably in a certain area, as there's a need here because of race season, and the lakes. That way, when he comes home on leave twice a year, he can black out those dates, and have his own 'home' to stay in if he chooses. 

The whole point of this is to give him the jump start in life my wife and I wish we had as young (financially uneducated) Soldiers years ago, and if he realizes the possibility of REI, and has a potential goal and path when his enlistment is up.

Thanks guys

@Stephen Schaefer  

I would not be so quick to assume that he wouldn't be able to use his VA loan. I think you can make a case for owner occupancy since he intends to occupy the property when he is not at work. I am not a mortgage broker, and I would certainly do your due diligence, but I imagine your son is not the only active service member in this situation.

FHA has a program that will lend you money for the rehab as well, it's called 203k and you only need 3.5% down. The mortgage insurance for these loans was just cut in half, so this could be a great strategy as well.

Either way, you would rent out one side full time, and rent the other side on a shorter-term basis.  

Hope that helps!

VA through your son is probably the best bet. If that is not an option, I would look for off-market owner financing, then converting to an investor mortgage once the property is rented.

Wow that's a great plan I never even thought of, renting one side out full time, and making the other short term. We don't have a lot of connections yet, but we also planned on speaking to our loan officer and agent we bought our home through. (VA)

I'll certainly look into qualifications of VA loans more. If it could be considered his home, that'd be great. But something like a FHA with rehab costs covered, and 3.5% down, is very do-able to. As providing furnishings and carrying costs for the short term side, is another obstacle.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you