Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes
Hi everyone,
I just put under contract a 2- flat building in the Chicago area. This is a class C neighborhood. Can you please give me some advice and criticize my analysis below? The first unit is renting for 700 (long term tenant). The second unit will be rehabbed. Each unit is about 850 SQ .
Are my numbers right? Am I missing something? There were very few comparables that I was able to find. And some of them were cash deals so I decided to value the deal using the cap rate formula. Please let me know what are your thoughts on this:
Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
Bottom line is that you're going to owe 60k on the place and its worth 75k? Your mortgage payment should be around 400/month and thats only if you finance the entire thing.
1,500 a month in income and 400 a month in mortgage payment on a 75k property? Taxes another 300 a month? Personally, I'd contest them if the property is really only worth 75k. You should only be paying about 250 a month (that would be a 12% tax rate which is pretty high even for this state).
Try going with NREIG for insurance. They won't require you cover the place for what it would cost to rebuild it. I bet you can get your insurance to cone in at 75/mo or better- the thing is only 1,500 sq ft.....
So 400/mo mortg, 300/mo taxes, 75/mo insurance. Water 80/mo (40 a unit seems reasonable but maybe way over based on brie's units). And I was assuming you'd be self managing so no PM fee.
There's 850/mo in expenses there so your gross profit is roughly 650/month. At that price, you should make money providing your screening is good and your rehab includes anything that has a short lifespan (btw I replace water heaters on every house I get - no matter how good they look. After a year of sitting, they almost always end up having problems anyway)......
But the one risk I'd add is that you're investing in cook county. And that crazy county has some of the absolute worst landlord laws in the country. I would be very careful when you do your screening.
Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes
11y
@Aaron Montague Thanks for your feedback. I agree, my main concern is the water estimate might be on the low side. I will do more research on those items.
I actually double posted this thread by accident thinking the first one didn't go through...
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
11y
@Account Closed - Water here is pretty cheap. I have two 3-flats and my water last year was $502 for a building with 6 adults and $639 for a building with 5 adults and 2 teenagers.
Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes
11y
@Troy Fisher Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will adjust the maintenance to a more conservative number. For some reason I thought the 10 % management fee was including everything. In that case, I might consider moving in the tenant to avoid marketing costs. Are these extra costs substantial?
Taxes are not a concern as this building was already an investment property so I believe this number should be accurate.
Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
11y
I've yet to get reliable cost figures from a PM in Chicago, but from my experience in Vegas in C neighborhoods, you have to pay closer to 12-15% for it.
In Vegas, I have to give up 1month rents to the PM for the lease-up. I expect Chicago to be the same $$ wise but not % wise. So ~$500/lease up. And then there's the phone answering charges, the maintenance overseeing charges. For me, having to pay up to 15% as long as I get the results I want out of the property is fine. But don't let the 10% fool you.
I'm preparing to leap into the Chicago market here soon, and my numbers are based on what I've researched, what some local investors have sent me and what some turnkey operators have advised.
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
@Account Closed I responded on your other thread that the numbers looked good except your missing CAPEX. If the $20K renovation costs includes replacing large capital items then you should be ok for a few years w/ a low CAPEX. But if items such as the roof, water heaters, boilers, & decks are old then you may want to include a $ figure in your annual budget for eventual replacement of these items. The other choice is bump up your current renovation number & repair those items now.
Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes
11y
@Crystal Smith Great point.. Never thought about that... I might consider increasing the rehab budget and update older items so I don't deal with them later during the next couple of years. Thanks Crystal!
Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
Bottom line is that you're going to owe 60k on the place and its worth 75k? Your mortgage payment should be around 400/month and thats only if you finance the entire thing.
1,500 a month in income and 400 a month in mortgage payment on a 75k property? Taxes another 300 a month? Personally, I'd contest them if the property is really only worth 75k. You should only be paying about 250 a month (that would be a 12% tax rate which is pretty high even for this state).
Try going with NREIG for insurance. They won't require you cover the place for what it would cost to rebuild it. I bet you can get your insurance to cone in at 75/mo or better- the thing is only 1,500 sq ft.....
So 400/mo mortg, 300/mo taxes, 75/mo insurance. Water 80/mo (40 a unit seems reasonable but maybe way over based on brie's units). And I was assuming you'd be self managing so no PM fee.
There's 850/mo in expenses there so your gross profit is roughly 650/month. At that price, you should make money providing your screening is good and your rehab includes anything that has a short lifespan (btw I replace water heaters on every house I get - no matter how good they look. After a year of sitting, they almost always end up having problems anyway)......
But the one risk I'd add is that you're investing in cook county. And that crazy county has some of the absolute worst landlord laws in the country. I would be very careful when you do your screening.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 111 posts · 73 votes
11y
@Account Closed
It looks like you got most everything. As others pointed out you are missing Cap-ex. Depending how extensive of a rehab will have a large impact on your maintenance numbers.
Since it is a multi-unit you will be responsible for lawn care and snow removal unless you work something out with the tenants. Either way expect that it will cost you money.
Also since it is a two unit, there might be common area electric and heat.