single family home vs gated comunities?

2 Replies

I am investing far away from the place i live.

What would you recommend as a first investment in a new area, single family home or gated community?

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Aline,

From what I've seen, most gated communities are HOA controlled. I stay away from most HOA's due to fees, assessments and rules unless it's a special circumstance.

The pluses are that usually the houses are maintained better, the bad part is that you can get fined for having a couple weeds in the yard. I know because I've been fined for it. They can also decide to do some major upgrade that could be a huge amount of money you weren't planning for.  

A good property manager should be able to help with maintenance and upkeep and doing inspections. 

Good luck.

Allen

Hi Aline,

As Allen stated I would stay away from a gated community for the exact reason of HOA's. I currently have a rental that is not in a gated community but is under HOA. I can tell you now having to contact my tenant because of a garbage can being left outside without a lid or a car of his being parked in the same spot to long without being moved is a huge headache. It amazes my the things that are under their contract. The only reason I have this rental is because I lived in it before and did not want to sell it right away because of the market but was forced to move. On top of everything I have to pay a fee every month that cuts out of profit to my pocket.

If you seriously do considering purchasing a home with a HOA. Read in DETAIL their contract to ensure its something that you will be comfortable with. But I highly advise against it.

Good luck!

-Kyle

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here