single family home vs gated comunities?

2 Replies

I am investing far away from the place i live.

What would you recommend as a first investment in a new area, single family home or gated community?

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Aline,

From what I've seen, most gated communities are HOA controlled. I stay away from most HOA's due to fees, assessments and rules unless it's a special circumstance.

The pluses are that usually the houses are maintained better, the bad part is that you can get fined for having a couple weeds in the yard. I know because I've been fined for it. They can also decide to do some major upgrade that could be a huge amount of money you weren't planning for.  

A good property manager should be able to help with maintenance and upkeep and doing inspections. 

Good luck.

Allen

Allen Maris, Central California Properties

Hi Aline,

As Allen stated I would stay away from a gated community for the exact reason of HOA's. I currently have a rental that is not in a gated community but is under HOA. I can tell you now having to contact my tenant because of a garbage can being left outside without a lid or a car of his being parked in the same spot to long without being moved is a huge headache. It amazes my the things that are under their contract. The only reason I have this rental is because I lived in it before and did not want to sell it right away because of the market but was forced to move. On top of everything I have to pay a fee every month that cuts out of profit to my pocket.

If you seriously do considering purchasing a home with a HOA. Read in DETAIL their contract to ensure its something that you will be comfortable with. But I highly advise against it.

Good luck!

-Kyle

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you