Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike Johnson
  • Port Orchard, WA
Votes |
Another newbie

Mike Johnson
  • Port Orchard, WA
Posted

Hi all,

I am in a situation similar to others on the board but a bit different from most. I work overseas for a foreign company so my retirement is basically entirely in my hands. I doubt I will get much, if anything, from social security.

I do not want to get into rental properties to get rich or to do as a full-time job. I just want to learn how feasible it is to invest in real estate as retirement income. I would buy and hold, have the property managed, and would not really be concerned with appreciation. If there's some that's a plus but not something I want to rely on.

I have a house back home in WA. I bought it thinking I would live there forever so probably paid a bit more than it was worth and it's about as far from the ideal rental property as you can get. I've had it for five years, tried to sell it but would have lost too much money, so now it's sitting maybe breaking even if I'm lucky.

I could afford to put 20% down on a 50-60k property every year. How much could I reasonably expect in rental income from that kind of property? It's easy enough to estimate mortgage payments and I have an idea about expenses, but I've never lived in a place with $60k houses, heh. Also I am living in Beijing right now and it's throwing off my sense even more. Houses here rent for a tiny fraction of their worth, to the point where many owners just leave them vacant. Not worth it to furnish it and deal with tenants for such a small amount of money.

My goal would be something like:

Next 5 years, buy a house each year with 20% down and 25-year mortgage

Next 5 years: buy a house each year with 20% down and 20-year mortgage

Next 5 years: buy a house each year with 20% down and 15-year mortgage

With the goal of the rental income from the first houses helping to make the mortgage payments on the last houses.

That would put 15 houses paid off around the time I plan to retire, plus the house I already have.

I would be OK if I got no income between now and then, if the houses were able to pay for themselves. Is that feasible? And how hard is it?

Again, I'm just looking for some security with retirement, not to get rich quick or make a ton of money.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I would be looking at turnkey properties and if anyone with experience buying them can throw me a link or an e-mail that would be appreciated.

Loading replies...