Votes
Justin Moon
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Just received a low appraisal on a cash out refinance

Justin Moon
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jan 29 2015, 17:38

I don't know if this is the correct subforum to post this in, but I can re-post it if needed.

To preface, this conversation, I am located in Houston. It's boom time right now in this city, and property values are on fire. I purchased a condo as my primary residence in July of 2013, and I am looking to complete an 80% LTV cash out re-finance. I purchased the property for $254,000 with a 4.125% interest rate. It's a three bedroom, 2.5 bathroom unit with 2,127 square feet. I just received the appraisal back at $305,000 with an offer to re-fi at 3.875% with no closing costs.

What really peeves me is how inaccurate the appraisal is. Two of the comps on the appraisal are for the two units next door to me in the same condo complex that both sold within the past 6 months for $179 a square foot for 1,402 and 1,370 of living space. On top of that, both of these units are 1 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom units. As I stated before, mine came back at $305,000 which places the value at $143 per square foot, but I also have 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. How can there be a $36 dollar per square in the appraisal value?

Loading replies...