First deal and 203k questions.

12 Replies

Dear BP!

So after reading, and watching, and more reading. A deal I think fell in my lap. 

The quick and dirty.

6 units, each is a 2-1, street parking in a up and coming area. Rent goes for 750-800 in the heart of Birmingham. And called a few other multi-unit in the area on prices. HUD pays that or close to that so my income amount should be pretty sure.

Taxes are 1200 a year, needs around 80k in rehab which IF i were to do it I could cut it down to 60ish.

Owner wants 20k a unit and is after we hit off to well, is willing to carry a 100k note with 20kish down.

All the units have their own meters and such, so no items on the monthly besides the insurance and vacancy.

Questions, thoughts. I kinda have the "I've been chosen" feelings very excited. And after running the numbers and even after a 50% cut it comes out great. However, would it make a 203k loan. As I said very new and hoping for insight. 

Thanks in advance.

I believe 203k loan is only for up to 4 unit multi-family properties.

6 units doesn't qualify for any type of FHA financing. Also, 203k is for purchase and renovation, Not just renovation.

You could convert the 6-units to a 4-unit property and it could qualify for FHA 203k Loan.

Could you condo the units and finance each seperately using a 203k loan?  Or you could possibly do the same thing for townhouses that are already on separate parcels of land.  Just an idea!

Is the issue financing the improvements and down payment or financing long term?  With $6,000+ in monthly revenue you should be able to get a long term commercial loan.  I've never done this with commercial, but I frequently use hard money during the improvement period and refinance to a long term loan.  I would talk to a commercial lender first, but in theory you should be able to improve the units with a bridge loan, generate revenue, and get a commercial loan based on it's new value as an income producing property.  

It's all one building. And not zoned to be sold each. But I guess I could change the unit amount. However, if the requirements have it as 4, in the start of the project its very obvious that there are 6 

By the way, that is a great deal and you have been chosen (assuming there isn't more to the story).  Congrats!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.