Identity theft

4 Replies

here's a good one for the BP group.  I hope you guys never have to deal with...the settlement attorney that closed my last sfr home was broken into and their files were stolen.  Yup, one of them happened to be mine.  As you guys know, those settlement files have A LOT of personal information in them.  I got a letter from the atty recommending I contact the credit bureaus, which I did and put a 90 day fraud alert on my accounts.  Not a week later, Discover Card calls to ask me about the "new" application I just submitted!  Which of course I didn't.  Now the fun begins.  I had to notify all my credit cards, my bank, get a police report (which, believe it or not, isn't that easy to get in many jurisdictions) so I can put a 7 year fraud watch on my credit.  I've already spent a lot of hours on this and I'm afraid I'm just getting started...Has this happened to anyone else?  Any advice?  

Wow.  Thanks for the warning.  FTC has a publication for jut for you.  Follow this link 

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0015-....

Take a look at the publication called "Taking Charge: What To Do If Your Identity Is Stolen".  That should get you started.  

There are a lot of identity theft protection plans available. I have not been a victim but I have received a prompt notice every time my wife or I have opened a credit file. I would hope fast knowledge of the event would limit the damage.

Originally posted by @John Mitchell :

here's a good one for the BP group.  I hope you guys never have to deal with...the settlement attorney that closed my last sfr home was broken into and their files were stolen.  Yup, one of them happened to be mine.  As you guys know, those settlement files have A LOT of personal information in them.  I got a letter from the atty recommending I contact the credit bureaus, which I did and put a 90 day fraud alert on my accounts.  Not a week later, Discover Card calls to ask me about the "new" application I just submitted!  Which of course I didn't.  Now the fun begins.  I had to notify all my credit cards, my bank, get a police report (which, believe it or not, isn't that easy to get in many jurisdictions) so I can put a 7 year fraud watch on my credit.  I've already spent a lot of hours on this and I'm afraid I'm just getting started...Has this happened to anyone else?  Any advice?  

John

The fraud alert is worthless. A lot of companies just don't pay attention to it.

Stop whatever you are doing and put a "credit freeze" on all 3 of your reports. This will make some things annoying as you won't be able to apply for new loans/ccs without "unfreezing" the report, but it will stop 90% of the fraudulent activity in its tracks.

The FTC has all the info and links for you: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-f...

Make sure to do it at all 3 (Experian, transunion, equifax)

Also, have the attorney pay for a credit monitoring service, and tell him he's going to have to reimburse you for time lost.

I have been dealing with identity theft with Verizon. Someone racked up $2400 worth of charges that has been linked to my credit report and is currently in collections. 

I posed my situation at http://ficoforums.myfico.com/ and the people there have given me EXCELLENT advice on how to properly go about solving my issue. 

Good luck, I know how frustrating identity theft can be....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide