Help me analyze this deal

4 Replies

I need help determining whether this is a good deal or not.

Price $52k, 30 year mortgage 20% down 5% interest + closing closts (how do I pre-calculate these?)
3br,1br
Estimating about $2k work for kitchen and bathroom
Estimating about $1k work for the rest of the house
Needs glass block windows in basement (how do I figure cost of these, was supposed to get an estimate on another rental house we own and the guy never sent it to us)
Taxes are about $200/month

I'm estimating to get between $900-$1100 rent, so want to estimate returns etc on the lower end at $950/month rent.

Thoughts?

HiTheresa,

Figure about 3% on closing costs. Figure about $50/ mo for insurance. Your PITi would be about $473. Be careful on those estimates for repairs. Are they your estimate a or from a GC THEY SEEM LOW BIT I have not seen the property. Sorry, I do not know what  a basement window would cost. But if your numbers are correct, your cash flow would be about $450/mo which is very attractive. How is the area? That's critical. If the area is a high crime area, it is not worth it as you will get a low quality tenant and have difficulty selling the property. Just my thoughts based on limited information.

Good luck.

The area is C property.
My estimates are based on the people that I have doing work for me. They give me good prices since they realize I will use them again and again.
I think the basement glass block windows are not standard size, so will probably need custom made.
I was thinking to estimate about $2k for the glass block windows, but not sure if that's high enough.

Oh and if we decided to do carpet, that would be about $2k as well. 

Sounds good to me, put 12k to sleep for 3-500 a month forever? Good deal to you? Good and bad are relative terms.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here