Buying from other investors

3 Replies

I am working with another investor who is getting out of the business. I've reviewed his 18 rentals and they all rent for $450 to $700.

Initially...looking at his asking prices and running through the SFR analysis, I didn't think they were so good...but I was using a 15 term with 25% downpayment.

Here's an example.

Price:  $39,000

Downpayment: $9,750 (25%)

Closing: $1,500 (Going to use a line of credit on based on stock portfolio)
Pay LOC based on 30 year term: (Prime - 0.25% = 3.00%): $127/month

Income: $6,072 (NET with 8% vacancy)

Expenses: 
Property Taxes: $1066
Property Insurance: $450
Repairs: $700
CapX: $500
Mortgage: $1548

Annual Cash Flow: $1828
COC: 16.25%

My spreadsheet:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/e51inxidg4m0um0/analysis...

How does this look?  Thoughts?

Kevin

I don't get your numbers. Assuming $700 rent on your $39,000 purchase, you get a NET of $6,072? Gross potential rent is $8,400. 

Cap EX and Repairs look too low, IMO, on a lower priced place unless there is a new roof, new appliances, new HVAC, new water heater, etc.

The rent on that particular example was only $575.  

Overall, all the houses were at their "deferred maintenance" stage in their life.

Couple that with the lower rent levels and I opted to not pursue any of them.

Kevin

Kevin, just curious.... why rental model -vs- fix & flip or even seller finance options for resale?

We sell a decent percentage of our properties via seller finance (contract for deed) which offers a very healthy return, quick sale (easy marketing) and little/no risk versus that of a rental scenario.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here