Wholesaling as an Agent-Maryland

3 Replies

Any other Agents out there doing wholesales? Seems like a conflict of interest when talking to potential sellers.  

How about in direct mail campaigns? Should disclosure be printed?

When talking with a potential seller (listing), you are not representing them. Once you have secured the listing, I can see where the conflict arises.  I imagine if you are taking a listing from a distressed seller, you can counsel them on a realistic price to expect form an investors buyer and price accordingly.  In this situation, your wholesale fee is your sales commission.

If, after speaking with the potential seller, a cash offer makes more sense for them I don't see a conflict.  You are acting as a principal for yourself at that point.

@Dennis Poulsen  

Thanks. I think I will have an attorney draw up some disclosure forms ahead of time, so they can sign it during negotiations. I want to tread lightly in the beginning as to know exactly where that line is.

@Hank Parater   - another strategy might be acting as a buyer's agent if you know who you will ultimately assign the contract to.  Negotiate from a buyer's agent standpoint and have your buyer pay commission, or better yet, have the seller pay your commission.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.