Lead inspection

3 Replies

The townhouse I am buying as a rental property was built in 1975. As a new landlord, should I get this place inspected for lead paint or not? I am just really not sure how i should go about this and the consequences of not getting an inspection. If someone can share there insight that would be great.

Also if the inspector finds lead, can I make the seller pay to rectify the issue?

We recently purchased a condo built in 1974 so put as part of the contract that I wanted a home and lead inspection.  I had the XRF test done to certify lead free to make sure I would have no issues even though MD at the time said it was only pre-1950 homes that had to be registered, tested, etc. to be rentals.  Sure enough, new law now says all homes 1978 and back have to be registered and tested, etc.  So if I had not made sure it tested lead-free for the MD lead-free certificate, I'd have to now retest each year and jump through all sorts of hoops if it actually tested positive for lead.  Look up your state laws and see how harsh they are, then make the decision, but I found a company that did the home inspection and XRF test together for a nice discount.  The MD state website listed them as certified testers for the lead-free certificate.  

@Lynn M. What was the name of the company you used for the lead testing?

Medium fullsizerenderTamara V., Jordan Verrett Real Estate, LLC

HomeCheck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you