How will 100% consumer financing change your game in 2015?

12 Replies

On March 2, BBVA announced 100% financing for consumers in low to moderate income areas. They are also willing to help out with up to $4,500. While I haven't seen the program's full details, I'm certain they will have heavy qualifying guidelines (hopefully). 

I'm 38 this month and attending the wedding of my best friend, also 38, this weekend. He's never owned but lives in Los Angeles where even low-income inventory in his area starts in the mid $300,000s. A down payment is a HUGE hurdle for he and his fiance. They are both very responsible and would make great homeowners, it's the down payment in their market that has them stuck.

I posted this on Facebook and got lots of feedback on the NOW generation spending too much money on non-asset-backed items and experiences. Will a program like this, for "responsible" and "qualified" buyers, make a huge dent in your business in 2015? 

Keep in mind, even during the downturn, the VA no-down program was the TOP performing portfolio. Thoughts? I'm optimistic but also a little frightened.

"According to BBVA Compass, the subject property must either be located in a low-to-moderate income census tract (as determined by the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council) or the loan applicants cannot have an income greater than 80% of the median income for the area, per the guidelines"

http://www.housingwire.com/articles/33120-bbva-compass-launches-zero-percent-down-mortgage-program

Sounds great for those who invested in low income housing areas don't think Los Angeles would have areas your friend would want to live in

@Aaron Norris  That monthly payment for the 300k is close to LA rent so it should be ok moving forward and actually represent a monthly expense savings at some point. 

Both LA County and LA City have programs for moderate income folks. They go to some weekend home owner classes and they can get up to $60,000 in down payment assistance. The new buyer still has to kick down around 20k usually to make it work. These types of programs are needed and the default rate I believe is extremely low. 

@Aaron Norris  I was not aware of it either until I bought a car off someone and after talking to him he was moving in the 400k townhouse next door for 20k out of pocket. That was out in Valencia. I will try to look it up online for you.

thanks,

@Aaron Norris  

http://www3.lacdc.org/cdcwebsite/linkit.aspx?id=58...

Funds are available! 

I can speak to this topic in depth. In our current market in Tuscaloosa AL, USDA has approved 100% financing since the Tornado in 2011. You should see a massive increase in home owner activity and interest in purchasing. Typically about once a month, I will post a Facebook Ad detailing the high points of the program and I typically receive about 100 comments/messages in about 2 hours. 

This will greatly increase your ability to expand your clientele. 

The USDA office has given no official date for the ending of the program. @Aaron Norris  

I probably closed ten transactions of young people/families under the age of 24 using this program.

It impacts everyone to be quite honest. It mainly helps people who have good credit, but no money for a downpayment. 

@Aaron Norris  no down option has been available forever...  It's called seller and lender credit :) You just need an agent and loan officer who know what they're doing.

Ewa Reza, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01874963)
323-455-7575

I do these sometimes myself @Aaron Norris  

But I wouldn't do this for every client. It takes a lot of work to close deal like that and if it's a high maintenance client, I wouldn't bother.

Ewa Reza, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01874963)
323-455-7575

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.