Price Range Sweet Spot

2 Replies

I'm new to REI and trying to develop a "sweet spot" for rental homes price ranges . I am reading that focusing on low income homes/areas = more problems with tenants and turnover, while focusing on pricy areas = smaller pool of would be tenants and more DOM. I would appreciate hearing your experiences or getting any advice on the subject I can get.

Everyone has their own system. That being said it REALLY depends on the area. We buy class A properties that are less than 8 years old. We buy them for 90k-150k 160-240k in different areas. So it really depends on your area. 

what @Elizabeth Colegrove said.  The market dictates the actual numbers the market will provide.  You, on the other hand, must dictate the numbers from your end based on what your financial goals dictate.  When the two meet, you invest in that market...and the range you are looking for is established for you.

However, with that in mind, here is what will dictate those numbers when you are coming from both sides...and reverse engineer your answer from both ends to the middle.

1 - Rents in the market areas

2 - T/I in those areas

3 - Cost to buy in those areas

4 - Cost to finance your buy (refi)

5 - Cash flow left over after all expenses/month factored in

6 - Min cash flow required based on your goals

Example here in Michigan (doing this deal right now):

1100 sq ft 3/1.5 ranch w/bsmt & 2 car detached garage in Redford, MI

$47,000              My cost to buy/rehab/etc...in cash
$64,000 ARV (will be higher in spring/summer too)
$48,000              75% ARV for refinancing in 6 months
$  1,000              Cash out at refi (on top of cash back of $47k)
$     950              Rent/month
$     350              All expenses/month inc PM
$     600              CF/month before REFI
$     243              REFI PI/month
$     336              CF/Month with REFI in place, and NO CASH left in deal (actually, I get                                  back $1,000 more than I started with)

My criteria was:
1 - All cash back by the time I refi, and
2 - At least $300/month in CF with the refi (and PM) in place 

The Market dictated:
1 - $1000 Rent
2 - $47,000 max. Cost
3 - $64,000 min. ARV

....and, we met in the middle.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you