Flipping a Rehab with partners

5 Replies

So myself and 3 others want to partner to flip a rehab just get our feet wet. How do we begin? Do we buy under llc or can we all be on a loan together?

Assuming you are all contributing equally, and will all co-sign the loan, then an LLC won't do much for you. It does provide a layer of liability protection, but your insurance should cover that.

Hi Toria, from my understanding, it's really difficult to get a mortgage as a LLC -- I don't think Fannie and Freddie would approve a conventional. My husband and I hold 3 mortgages under our names, it's easy enough. For tax purposes, I just saved every stinking receipt for every penny I spent improving. All the best.

This is a great question and I'm interested in hearing what others are doing. I think you also need something to specify each partners responsibilities. I know many partnerships have failed over petty issues, greed and when problems arise. I'm looking for a good rehab partner in Austin, TX.

I would form an LLC. I'd contact a commercial lender and only have one person guarantee the loan. That person should be able to qualify for the full amount and should probably receive preferential shares of the profit in return.

The problem with having multiple members guarantee the loan is that all members are liable for the full amount of the loan. And if the goal is to maximize the credit facilities of all the members, the best strategy is to take turns guaranteeing the loan on each project. 

Also, you can ask your lender if the loan will be reported on your credit report. Some commercial lenders do not report it which allows you to retain your lending bandwidth for future deals. 

Regarding structure, I have done it a couple of ways (we are 100% cash/no debt):

1. If I'm the GC, I get a 35% bump above my commitment level with an 8% preferred return. That means that if I put in 5% of the investment, I receive 5% of the profits up to 8% and then 40% of all profits above the 8% level. I also receive 1.5% back end commission as the broker subject to achieving the preferred return. In other words, if the project fails to hit the 8%, then I would list the property for free. 

2. If I'm using a GC, I will split my 35% with them and take a cut as the operator. Usually the split is about 50/50 depending on whether the operator receives any compensation along the way. On my current project, our GC receives 17.5% of the back end profit plus a 10% override along the way (cost plus 10 on the rehab). I receive 17.5% on top of my investment.

The passive investors split the remainder according to their input percentage. 

So you actually partner with your GC and split the profits? That sounds like a great way to keep costs low and decrease the time to complete repairs. How do you handle the material costs? I'd love to hear more about how you structure your rehab projects. 

Thank you

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you