Indianapolis Project: Seeking Advice

8 Replies

Hey BP,

I have a current project that I am actively working on and seeking advice from the BP community. My twin brother and I co-own a multi-family property free and clear. We were planning on utilizing an FHA 203k loan to bring the property into rentable shape. However, the contractor quotes we got plus the mortgage insurance we would be paying is too much risk to take as young investors.

However, we think that if we can field a private investment from an individual (hopefully a contractor), we could cut out the upcharge that our contractor has been quoting and avoid the PMI payment altogether.

Ideally, I would love share the cash flows with the investing member in equal share of our contribution to the project. Each unit would easily fetch $1,000/mo and most likely around $1,200.

About the property:

4 units (separate entrances)

1,500-1700 square feet/unit

2 2-bedroom units

2 3-bedroom units

Near north side of Indianapolis

Advice, contractors, potential interested deal-making parties are all welcome to the conversation.

Evan....Some ideas on the numbers? The rehab budget, timeline, ARV, current value?

Sorry -- clicked submit before I was all done.

Rehab budget: $35k-$40k per unit ($150k-$160k

Timeline: 100 day project per other contractor quotes

ARV: About $400k at time of completion.

Current Value: Most likely around $150,000

We had also thought about re-parceling the property to flip as townhomes, but getting the property into retail shape would involve acquisition of more land for parking and other costs that may not be feasible. There are a lot of moving parts to a condo-flip project that leasing the units doesn't have

Does that help, @Rusty Scott ?

Thanks, yes it does....so you are looking for roughly 150k, for roughly 50% ownership....and projecting 4k to 4800 gross monthly income...net income also split 50/50?

Is that an accurate summation? 

Is this old northside? Herron Morton?

If you stick with traditional financing you could also look at a refi Homestyle loan which should be cheaper cost-wise and less cumbersome requirement-wise than an FHA 203K. Since you own the property free and clear there may be other options for asset-based loans that you could use but I'm not knowledgeable about those.

Will you send me the address?  Sounds interesting.  Thanks!  

Hey!  I just tried to send you a note, but I'm not sure it worked.  I might be interested in the property depending on the location.  Could you send the address?  Thanks!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here