Who will do a 30k mortgage in South Carolina?

7 Replies

Does anyone know who will do a mortgage for 30k in South Carolina? I would rather not do hard money lenders like prosper and lending club because the maximum payback term is 5 years. I would have a much easier time with cash flow if I stretched the payments out to 15-30 years. Does anyone have any experience with this in SC?

I may be able to help you, please send additional details

It is for SFH rental property I would like to buy in Columbia for around 30k. It is valued at close to 60k. I have a credit score around 650 and can put down 20-30 percent.

@kevinshorter Private money is you answer..... some retired Dentist  was telling his wife last night the rate of return on there cash holdings are just to low.  You would be a big help to them, your job is to find them or a private money lender that are almost everywhere these days.  

Good luck Jim Kelller

This post has been removed.

You might want to consider taking a private money lender on for a year or so then re-fi to a conventional loan.  Most of the conventional lenders that I use don't want to bother with a property under $50k, its not worth the paperwork they have to do.  If you re-fi after a year or two then you can get a loan based on the value of the property no the purchase price, you should then be able to pull some cash out to use for the down payment on your next property.

If you want to go with a bank for this property try one of the credit unions around town.  There are a bunch around Columbia, they may be more willing to do a lower value loan, particularly if you are talking about a $30k property with 30% down, that's along the lines of a $21k loan.  Most mortgage guys I know don't want to bother, but private money will be game, even if you use prosper or another P2P for a year then re-fi.

@Kevin Shorter I have had success with small local banks.  These banks write loans and keep them in house (portfolio loans).  Once you develop a relationship they can be a huge benefit for a buy and hold investor.  Good Luck!

You can go conventional. You just need to find a mortgage broker who is brand new and doesn't have much business. It won't be a waste of time to him.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide