My Realtor Says I Need A Lawyer?

My Realtor Says I Need A Lawyer?

Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
I am a first time home buyer. I have a pending offer into a seller. During conversation, my realtor stated I would need an attorney in later steps. She said she has not done a transaction where there WASNT a lawyer involved. I don't want to pay for something I do not need, especially when this is a simple transaction in my mind. conventional loan, good credit, standard deal in my eyes. Why would I need an attorney if the role of the realtor is to know these real estate documents?
0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
11y

@Account Closed Yeah, apparently the Bar has good lobbyist there as there is a mandatory 3 day "attorney review period"/get out of jail free card, I believe.  Attorneys here are generally only involved since they usually own the title co.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sunnyside, NY · Member since 2014 · 355 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    @Sal DeJulio

    Typically the realtor will get you to the point of making or accepting an offer. When it comes to signing the actual contract and everything thereafter right up until closing, you use a lawyer. I'd be interested to know if it was possible to do it without a lawyer. But even if it were possible though, having a lawyer is not a bad thing. The other side is likely going to have a lawyer and you need to protect yourself.

  • Foreclosure Specialist · Monument, CO · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    I would call around to other Realtors and ask if it is typical in Florida to have an attorney.  I am with you, I would not want to pay for an attorney if I didn't have to.  Maybe she is talking about a closing attorney.  Her life must be hell if she has to close with an attorney every time.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    There's no one answer to this as it varies from state to state. In some places, especially where there are highly standardized state contracts and forms, closings are done by title companies or even by brokers themselves. Other places it's common to have a lawyer handle it.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Well, it depends on your comfort level.  Your loan will be standard, with very little wiggle room.  Your closing will be with a title co., which may or may not be attorney owned.  9 times out of ten you have no need for an attorney in a simple house purchase.  Not sure if your agent is being overly cautious/CYA, or what.  Being that you're getting a conventional loan, acceptable title insurance will be required, and provided.  Do choose to pay for an owner's policy in addition to your lender's policy.  It would only be $300-$500 to have your own attorney review everything though.

  • Investor · Sunnyside, NY · Member since 2014 · 355 posts · 114 votes
    11y

    OK, so I just learned from this. I'm from New York and the signing of the contract with the seller was handled by lawyers (mine and the seller's) and everything after that. The closing table gets pretty crowded in New York.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed Yeah, apparently the Bar has good lobbyist there as there is a mandatory 3 day "attorney review period"/get out of jail free card, I believe.  Attorneys here are generally only involved since they usually own the title co.

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed I have only had lawyers present at one closing here in Colorado- and that was because it was a couple that was splitting up. That table was crowded... and frosty!

  • jamaica, NY · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Buying a house is one of the biggest purchases you will make in your entire life. As such, there are contracts involved and a ton of paperwork to sign. This is no simple task and should not be taken lightly as if you were buying a car.

    Aside from having an inspection done, and the title company present, an attorney is essential to the process. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2008 · 946 posts · 153 votes
    11y

    I have bought 12 houses and have never had an attorney present.  Tell your Realtor to do her job or get another one. 

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    For your 1st purchase, it is highly advisable to get an attorney to review everything for you for piece of mind, but is not mandatory in FL. Once you have a few closings under your belt, it is easy to do on your own and rely on the Title Co offering title insurance. And always get an owner's policy as per Wayne's advice, especially if you plan on holding for any length of time. If there is ever an HOA, it's best to have the CC&R reviewed by an attorney though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.