Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Lynne Hart
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Auction Property with flooded, in accessible basement...

Lynne Hart
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Louis, MO
Posted Mar 12 2015, 04:42

Considering a first property off auction (pre-1900 duplex in STL City, typical foundation style). Unable to see basement due to 4-5 inches of clean clear (seemingly standing, or slow/low leak underwater) that was in the walkout stairwell - peeking through the window revealed entire basement flooded. Property management company had just been called. Could be an even sweeter deal, but I lack deep experience in the varieties of things this may be. (My thought, burst pipe over winter weather, but why did the water not drain?) I would love to hear from you both on the variety of things that might be causing a flood, and options with the auction or PM company for understanding the cause of or how they handled the situation. I'm thinking to call this morning and see what I can find out. I'm unwavered by small problems, but likely uneducated of how big a deal ($$) this might end up to be. Certainly get that I'll have to replace any mechanical equipment submerged. Seems not to be sewer water..... am I likely snaking a drain and fixing a burst pipe? What are the other big scary things I might find causing this in a St. Louis city basement?

Loading replies...