School Ratings - are they stable?

2 Replies

I'm moving from Canada to SW Houston soon and was wondering if you can count on school ratings (greatschools.org) to stay consistent or do they rise and fall? If so over what time period? If you buy in a neighborhood that you expect to rise in value but has poor school ratings now can you expect the schools to get better as the rest of the neighborhood rises in value? 

It's very important for me to buy in an area with really good ratings for my personal house, is that true for every family? Very different in Ontario where you can generally say public schools are the same no matter what area.

If schools are your primary concern, my advice would be to look for a house in Katy ISD.

You can check the stats for all Texas districts and schools at the link below. In Fort Bend County, your public school choices will be Fort Bend ISD, Katy ISD, Lamar CISD, Stafford ISD, Needville ISD, and Houston ISD.

http://www.texastribune.org/public-ed/explore/?gcl...

Thanks Fred. Wondering for rental properties that I won't be living in as well - if you pay a little more for a property that has good schools can you count on it to stay that way long term? And if you're surrounded by poor schools do they ever get better?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.