What is the Best Way to Rent a House to Family With Disabled Needs?

3 Replies

I have a neat rental property that i just bought but need some advice on best way to rent it.

It is a single family 3 bedroom, 2 story house that the former tenant shared with her disabled husband. Although it has all bedrooms upstairs, it does have an electric chairlift on stairwell wall and has wheel chair ramps throughout the back yard.

Are there any organizations, or groups that I should be contacting to see if they need housing for their members' needs or is there a better way to promote this property to find the best tenant for it??

Most of the larger organization I have called have their own apartments/dorms and are not interested.

Section 8 in Austin does not pay any type of premium for these amenities so I'd rather not start there.

I would love to rent to an organization or family that can utilize the benefits this house offers-- as it is very niche designed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

@Robert Piller I have not dealt with this, so I may be off base but I do know that once my sister had her stroke, her current apartment was not suitable for her for this very reason.  So I'm thinking maybe reach out to rehab facilities and leave some flyers or post on their boards.  When something is new to you, to reach out to the people you see most frequently.  Good Luck!

I have no experience in renting to disabled tenants, and you eliminated my only wild hunch (Section 8), so I have nothing.  But I am curious to see what sort of premium might be associated with such a property, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Oh, something did come to mind. I've been approached twice by organizations that rent houses for veterans (disabled and not) to share. They place three or four unrelated veterans in a home in a group situation to help them out. They mentioned higher than normal rents. I don't know how you might find such organizations in Austin. Maybe check with the local VA?

One other thing.  Maybe posting a flyer in dialysis clinics might be a good idea.  Some dialysis patients have trouble with climbing stairs.

@Sonya Stovall  

@Randy E.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check with VA and rehab & dialysis facilities.

Still--there's got to be some agencies that could use these services.  Any other thoughts?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you