AdWords strategy

14 Replies

Do you guys prefer to use a higher $ amount and run up your daily limit rather quickly or enter a lower bid and play it slow? We started it last night with the higher bid to run up the cap more quickly but I'm open to tweaking however you pros recommend. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)
800-347-9296

Where you rank in AdWords auctions is a results of bid price X quality score. if you go in too high, you'll likely have a very high cost per click & conversion due to driving up the max bid price for that auction. There are a lot of variables to consider when entering an auction, and if you're in a relatively competitive space, where you're depleting your budget quickly, I'd recommend you come in well under the 1st placement bid.

If there are 500 searches for your target term a day, on a $150/day budget you could be #1 for a few hours, and pay $10/click for 15 clicks, or bid $5/click, rank #3,4 or 5, and get 30 clicks throughout the entire day.

If you're answering phone calls, arrange the schedule of your ads around when you're by the phone. For mobile ads, you can implement click-to-call which means when the user clicks your ad on a mobile device, the phone dials you, instead of directing them to your site.

I know the original post is old, but I'd be curious to hear how things turned out with your campaigns.

To me it is good to start high.  Adwords will rank your link with a better quality if you get clicks at first.  That will make you be higher later for less money.

I am suggesting getting those initial clicks is important.  I think bidding enough to get top position at first is important.

Maybe you're confusing quality score with ad rank? https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

I think @Sean Dolan pretty much nailed it.

The only advice I would add now is to keep an eye on your search query report and negative out words and terms that aren't relevant. Keep your negative keywords tight and try to narrow the words you are bidding on to be as specific as possible. You want your traffic as relevant as possible when spending money on it.

Lastly, I'd decide where you think your best traffic would come from. Be conscious of geo-targeting (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043?hl=en). Do you want people only within a 5 mile, 10 mile radius to see your ads, or only in your state, or only in the United States, etc.

Originally posted by @Joe White :

@Sean Dolan @Tony Griego @Michael Biggs @Ryan Dossey : What are you running adwords for?
I'm a Property Manager, running ads and I'm wondering if I should run them with local parameters, within certain zipcodes or ditch the codes and run the keywords to include "philadelphia".

I work for a company that does B2B lead gen for multifamily properties. I manage AdWords accounts and campaigns for companies that have portfolios large and small nationwide. I would recommend that you do all three.

1. A campaign that targets the local area via radius around the property's address or in the DMA for the city.
  2. One that targets zip codes.
  3. Also one that may target potential prospects considering moving to the area.

This will all of course depend on marketing budget. You can run small budget campaigns to test this out, or focus on where the majority of your current and past residents tend to come from.

I run hundreds of these campaigns, and they all differ due to market, the class of the property, and a number of other small factors. The best way is to always run a test, and fine tune as you go.

From my experience your paid ads have nothing to do with your non-paid SEO ranking.  Making sure your site has the proper content to maximize SEO will get you free leads.  I do both paid ads and our sites are all set up with the best content for SEO.  Paid ads will not necessarily make your page rank higher in general non-paid ads search.  There's ways to set up your SEO and content to get your page ranking in the top few spots below paid ads based on specifics that fit your business, which will generate a lot of free leads.

If doing paid ads, be sure to create dynamic ads and also block keywords that do not apply.  At first I was getting a lot more hits, but 2/3rds were not good quality and were not turning into lead conversions.  Made some changes to get less clicks but better quality.  I'm willing to pay max bid for certain search terms that I know typically generate quality leads.  But on others I leave them set lower.  Its all about "Quality" of Clicks over "Quantity" of Clicks.

@Joe White I can tell you @Tony Griego knows what he's talking about. Easy for us who paractice PPC to tell the difference between someone who breaks the rocks and someone who tells others to break the rocks. 

To answer your question, I generate highly motivated seller leads for investors across the country via PPC. I also have clients who own dozens of apartment complexes across the country and I generate tenant leads. 

I agree with @Tony Griego I would only add that I would start with radius targeting if you have to pick one to start with based on budget. It's a preference and some may disagree, but that's my opinion.

Most importantly, keep asking questions!

I very much second @Jeff Filali suggestion regarding "negative keywords."  I literally have negative keywords for every major city, county, and state outside of my farm area.  Occasionally, I still get wasted clicks: most recently I had a "sell my house in Australia" click - I hadn't thought to block other countries!  Of course, my company isn't national so "sell my house in New Jersey" is not helpful for me.

Google also let's you select the area by having the option: "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location."  That has worked relatively well for me.  I previously tried using keywords with cities and zipcode: but when you use so many keywords it can create a large (and somewhat random as far as I can tell) disparity in quality scores, and frankly spreads the data so thin it's hard to draw testing conclusions.  I focus on about 10 keywords that have 5-10 QS and work off that as more data comes in.

If your budget is limited, I would do what others are suggesting - limit your target audience by location, scheduling, demographics and others. Also, if your budget is really limited, start with exact match for all keywords. Try making your ad group very small and targeted (max 15 keywords per ad group). That way, it's easier to bring the CPC down by increasing quality score. For super star keywords, I'd even consider having one ad group or one campaign for each keyword. 

Take a look at Google Analytics (if you implemented one) and see what is the best converting time/day and where your customers are located for organic traffic. Use the data to adjust bids for audience to start with until you gather enough data for your paid campaigns. 

You could also try RLSA and increase bids for those who match certain criteria. For example, you can use Google Analytics data to create audience who spent more than X minutes on your website. Then target the audience from your Adwords. 

Happy marketing! Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you