Re-post- Should I make offer on tenant-occupied property

3 Replies

Submitted my post under wrong category... 

-------------------------------------------------------------

First, I just joined 10 mins. ago. But I've been browsing through this site from quite some time. I'm hoping to gain valuable knowledge... for that thanks in advance.

I am in the process of acquiring my very first rental property. Have zoomed in at a couple that fit the profile and financial performance. However, in the process I came across a tenant-occ. S.F.H; send a few questions (through my Realtor) to the seller and things are not looking that bad.

The property is being sold somewhat below the average $ in that area (not sure if this is already a red flag), yet the rent disclosed in the posting is actually up to date with area rents. However, an answer to a Q? in particular made me somewhat uneasy and reconsider the temptation to jump into a cash flowing property.

Question I asked: Does the tenant know the property is up for sale? Answer: NO

Seller will not show unless an purchase offer is in. According to seller tenant has been renting 1.5 yrs, property has been on the market for 8 months. Is it normal for these type of properties to stay on the market that long?

Is it common for a seller not to disclose to a tenant the property they are living will be up for sale?

I would like to request an estoppel agreement be filled out and returned to me. When should I do that? Is there a specific protocol to make such a request? Will an estoppel agreement help cut through the chase and put the ball on the seller / tenant's side?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Pablo, the rookie.

Its not necessarily a red flag that the tenant does not know. If a landlord tells a tenant they are listing the property, it is likely the tenant will move out. Turnover costs a landlord money.

Make the estoppel a condition that must be completed during the option period. Considering you haven't seen the inside or talked with tenant, I'd put a healthy option period on it.

@Pablo R. this is a great site to learn from. Welcome! Prior to making an offer. I would get pre-qualified to price you are serious about purchasing. I agree with @Neil Aggarwal the tenants will move if the house is for sale most of the time. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.