VA Loan - Personal Residence to Investment Property

2 Replies

Hey, BP Community,

I purchased a townhome in Jan '14 with my VA loan. My girlfriend and I decided to move in together a few months ago (into her place) and I made the decision to keep my townhome as an investment property. I signed a 2-year lease yesterday :)

Question: Am I obligated to do anything with my loan, like a refi? I don't think that I am because it was my primary residence when I purchased it, and I used it as such for a year. Secondly, if I am not obligated to do something with the loan, should I? The current loan is a 5/1 ARM. I only plan on holding the property for another 3-4 years before pursuing a sale, however, I think I'll be pursuing another primary residence in that timeframe and would like to use my VA benefits. I know I can have 2 VA loans open, as long as I don't exceed my total benefits, but I'm wondering if I should just refi out of my current loan so that I have max benefits/leverage when I purchase my next house.

I know there is a million variables, but wanted to hear some feedback from others who may have used a VA loan to purchase a primary residence, then ended up using it as a loan on an investment property.

Thanks!

Josh

@Joshua Iachini

My wife and I have done the same thing; lived in a house we bought with a VA loan, then moved and now use it as a rental.

If you're certain you will sell in 3-5 years, let it stay as an ARM, as I'm sure it's a lower interest rate. And no, you aren't obligated to refi at all.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here