As I've been doing my education over the last three months, I was was dead set on the buy and hold strategy. I still think it's a great strategy but I have a significant hurdle in that I want to invest remotely. Yes, I know it's been done plenty of times but as a newbie, I don't know if I'm willing to take that risk.
I like buy and hold b/c of the cash flow potential and tax advantages with interest and depreciation write-offs. However, I got very discouraged when I realized I would probably need around a dozen (give or take) properties to cash flow at "just" $3K a month.
Anyways, I've recently been reading up on note buying but am not finding the info I'm seeking. It's still somewhat difficult to wrap my head around what note buying is and what it entails.
A few questions below...
- Does note buying has the same cash flow potential and tax advantages?
- What happens when the note is paid? How do I make money off the note then?
- How would you compare cash flow vs. getting paid a high return on a note every month? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.
- How would you compare finding deals? Discounted private note vs. discounted SFH?
Any other info you could provide would be great!
When you purchase a note you become the lender and collect interest payments while the homeowner pays down the note. The interest you earn is treated as ordinary income so not as tax advantageous as the passive rental income and depreciation writedown from owning real estate. When the note is eventually paid off you rinse and repeat the process by purchasing more notes. If you are looking for $3K/month interest income you will need to own several notes just like your example of 12 rental properties.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing