How much to offer on a small MF?

2 Replies

Hello! 

I am very interested in a small MF that has a fair amount of deferred maintenance (about $40K). How much should I offer?  I can think of two strategies:

1. Should I use the flip formula? ARV * X% - repairs? Not sure which % would be best to use, since this is a buy and hold.

2. Whatever max purchase price maintains the 2% rule - repairs.  Current gross rent is $2100, which could definitely be pushed to $2400 after repairs.  This leads us to a PP of $105K (based on $2100) - $40K repairs = $65K.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

I am lucky to get decent properties (built in 60's-70's) in decent neighborhoods (B- ish) for 100x gross monthly rent - repairs.  Your PP target of $65k sounds Detroit-esque, but I don't know the property or neighborhood.  If it's not completely dilapidated or in a war zone, I would forget about the 2% rule.  Maybe go for 1.25% if it's a B in a B,  Up your offer to 1.5% if a C in a C, like that.  @Kimberly Ashkenazi   is this a listed property with an agent, or?  The key will be the seller and their motivation. Hopefully you can speak with them directly. Good luck!

@Steve Vaughan You bring up some great points.  Thank you for your advice!  I think we're just going to stick with our original offer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you