Profitable Investing Areas

2 Replies

Good Afternoon. Just doing some research/educating my self and I am on tho topic of analyzing potential markets. My question is, is there a specific criteria that is used for the area you are questioning in order to find out if this area has profitable real estate in this radius. Thanks for the help!

Great question, I focus on one thing and one thing only, I focus on cash flow.  I can figure out market rents and my cost to own pretty easily.  Then if the spread looks big enough then I am interested in the deal.

I choose cash flow as my metric becase investing for appreciation is speculative and if you speculate incorrectly you get burned.  Ask anyone who was investing in hot markets in 2008. 

The economy can collapse and cash flow property still works.  

I happen to live in the best cash flow market in America so its easy for me, but there are a lot of good cash flow markets out there. Find one of them, learn the market, and start buying.

To your success

Josh

thanks for the reply josh,

When you are speaking of using cash as your metric is that just in regards to rentals? Or would you use the same metric for rehabbing? And when you say cash flow your just speaking of the income you can bring in from the property minus the expenses from that property? 

Thanks again, 

Dan

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.