Opinions on Indianapolis Neighborhood: N High School Rd / W 34th St (Near Speedway)

6 Replies

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a SFR in this area as a rental.

We were initially attracted to this neighborhood because of the lower crime rate than the rest of Indianapolis but I've been reading that the area can also be considered low income and have high vacancies.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/reports/15620378/

Can anyone who knows the area well please chime in with an opinion?  Thanks so much!

This is a great area.

I like anything West of the track personally.  Heck as far as that goes, our whole city is great for making money [except for a few bad pockets]!

Eagledale is just north of Speedway & it's a strong area as well.

IMHO - I wouldn't rely too heavily on crime reports.  Every city has crime - even in the affluent areas.

Instead, I would rely heavily on your team [Property Manager, agent, etc]

Originally posted by @Frank Jiang :

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a SFR in this area as a rental.

We were initially attracted to this neighborhood because of the lower crime rate than the rest of Indianapolis but I've been reading that the area can also be considered low income and have high vacancies.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/reports/15620378/

Can anyone who knows the area well please chime in with an opinion?  Thanks so much!

That review of the area reads very poorly. "Did you know... highest concentration of people with african decent live here... it's 2.8%!" That just seems incorrect, as if it was written by a bot with city-data as its source. I would tread carefully taking that as gospel. Hold out for a few opinions of people on here. I've never been over there, sorry. 

Originally posted by @Dave G. :
That just seems incorrect, as if it was written by a bot with city-data as its source.

Thanks Shawn for your opinion!  Always helps to know what people actually living in the area think of the neighborhood.

I agree Dave, that this report looked as if it were computer generated using census data, but the parts about low income and high vacancy still frightened me a bit.  Thanks for the reply!

@Shawn Holsapple

do you have any good PM and Property inspector to recommend?

Thank you!

Originally posted by @Emma Chen :

@Shawn Holsapple

do you have any good PM and Property inspector to recommend?

Thank you!

PM Sent!

@Shawn Holsapple - can I please also get your PM and inspector recommendations?

Thank you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here