#[email protected]&^%$ WTF, I Like The Guy

6 Replies

I wanted to make a low ball offer on a Garage in NE Pa.  So when I went up to look at it, the owner met me there. And so did his uncle and his cousin. Well anyway, my family is from Johnstown, and I spent my summers with my cousins in Tioga County.

So the Realtor calls and says he's running late, not to mention we are kinda early. So now this turns into talking shop, general talk about riding dirt bikes in strip mines, sliding down boney piles on old car hoods, and showing scars. Took all of maybe 5 minutes and I was talking a coal-cracker dialect I haven't used in over 30 years. All we're missing is the kraut, sausage, and fried potatos.

Now what? My plan of throwing out a low-ball number and hoping he needs the money is kinda blown.

How the F did this happen? I never really like anyone.

Now what? Anybody else ever have this happen?

You've established a personal connection perfect! Remember it's just business. If your offer is even close to what they actually would take (not what they listed it at and hope to get) they might give it to you because you have an established connection other investors couldn't or wouldn't try to achieve. That's how you get deals. Good luck.

Joe,

I agree with Nathan.  You now have a personal connection.  This sounds like a plus to me, not a negative.  Given you spoke "coal-cracker dialect" with him, probably puts you in the new friend for life category.   Next, step would be to do what Nathan suggested.  Good luck!

Yea, I don't see the problem here.  If you are going to throw out a low ball offer, you can always preface it with something like "Hey, I know this is lower than you wanted, but it's the only number that works for me".  If they like you, it can at least lead to a discussion.  If they get pissed at you, sounds like they were just being friendly to incite a higher offer.  Don't let that strategy work :)

The problem is, I feel for the guy and his misfortune. He just laid off about 80 men. Not to mention I saw where he just sold his personal home a couple of years ago and took a bath on the price.

This is a valuable human being, and we run in the same circles, this deal needs to work both ways. Just because he's in a financial bind right now, I'm not going to try to take advantage of him.

Why the F couldn't he have been some "suit" with hands like a woman?

Joe sounds like your doing the guy a favor, he can give you the deed with a smille vs the bank taking it from him by force. Nothing is stopping you form inviting the guys out for a polish and giving him a job marketing for you for extra cash, business never personal.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you