First deal thoughts?

5 Replies

Hello! I'm new to the BP forum! Been following for awhile.

This will be my first rehab. Haven't decided if I want to buy/hold or and sell it. Thoughts would be helpful and anything

SFH 4/1.5 1977sq no garage

Purchase price 36k (cash sale)

Rehab 25k

ARV 140k

Rent 16,800$

Taxes 3,600$

HOA ins 1,100$

Do I rent or sell? 

Is this a good investment property on paper?  

If it weren't for the high taxes and HOA, I would hold it as a rental. Because of those, I would flip it. Hope this helps @Nino Alfano !

@Nino Alfano

First off, congrats on your first foray into real estate investing! Second, if the numbers you have provided are accurate, then yes, this is a good deal. Anytime you can make that kind of ROI on a flip, you've done something very right.

As far as whether you should flip or hold, it depends on quite a few factors. What are your immediate needs? Does your business need an influx of cash to get your next deal, or are you looking to build up long term cash flow? Is your real estate market at the tippy top of the peak in terms of value, or do you think it's still going to trend upwards? 

These are just a couple of questions that can help you decide your exit strategy on this property. 

Congrats again. 

in the area the taxes on this unit is relatively low. Also HOA insurance is standard. @stevevaughan

Originally posted by @Joseph Picarella :

@Nino Alfano, 

First off, congrats on your first foray into real estate investing! Second, if the numbers you have provided are accurate, then yes, this is a good deal. Anytime you can make that kind of ROI on a flip, you've done something very right.

As far as whether you should flip or hold, it depends on quite a few factors. What are your immediate needs? Does your business need an influx of cash to get your next deal, or are you looking to build up long term cash flow? Is your real estate market at the tippy top of the peak in terms of value, or do you think it's still going to trend upwards? 

These are just a couple of questions that can help you decide your exit strategy on this property. 

Congrats again. 

Thanks for all the questions! So many thoughts. I believe we are going to hold it. The positive cash flow is nice! I was also thinking I can take out equity in the home to tackle another project. 

@Nino Alfano

That is always an option too! There are numerous ways to access your equity and put it to work for you. Let us know what you eventually decide to do and how it works out for you. I'm sure you will do great! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you