I have to pay 2% transfer tax?

3 Replies

I bought a bank owned home and I was under the impression I only had to pay 1% transfer tax.  On my end of contract just a normal contract says buyer and seller will split the transfer tax. The bank is the seller. Now its an executed agreement of sale and bank want me to pay the 2% transfer tax and is adding an addendum to the contact.  My realtor said normally the buyer does pay the 2% transfer tax on bank owned homes buy I was not aware of this before making an offer or even after it was accepted. My mortgage person told me about it.

Its an additional $1,350.00 so its a nice chunk of money. How would you handle this? I dont want to pay it but I will if it means I don't get the house I will. Just seems shady to me...

Thanks

bump

As long as it does not break your deal go ahead and suck it up. You will know for next time.

Well, there's "bank owned", and there's "bank owned, by a Federal agency".. Federal agencies Do Not, Can Not pay the transfer fee (exempt by law) but the fee must still be collected, so the Buyer must pay it. As for other "bank owned", here anyway, they follow normal local custom. This is on like page 2 of the REO buyer guide.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here