What are IRA individuals demanding on loans??

What are IRA individuals demanding on loans??

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes

Just curious what IRA lenders that loan money out are getting or wanting for return and duration??

I am not talking about companies that up fees but a direct individual loaning out their IRA money on a property to an investor.

0Reply
7 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I only have a few friends that are actively loaning IRA money, but I think 10-12% with 3 Points is what I have recently seen. Perhaps you could negotiate something long term that is better. What were you looking for or expecting?

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    @Joel Owens

    Here are couple samples of loans that I made out of my 401k:

    1) $30K, 2nd position (I normally don't do 2nd but this is to investor I know well personally and property has over $50K in equity on top of my loan so I would not mind taking the property in case of default), 10%, interest only, 5-year term

    2) $43K, 1st position (property worth about $75K), 9% interest rate, amortized over 15 years, note term 2 years. I received 4 points.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Interesting.

    There is a commercial project I am looking at right now. Lot's of upside. HML's want 30% down of whatever you buy it at regardless of it's value.

    Example you could buy something for 600k that is currently worth 1 million and the seller is highly motivated. The HML's do not care and want 30% down of purchase price. I see it more of the buyer is preserving cash to turn around the property. If the loan defaults the lender can easily resell.

    If a borrower has to put 30% down and place a ton of money to get the place leased up that is a huge cash call and over slanted for the lender. I think there are overly slanted lenders demands, over slanted borrower demands, and then middle ground that makes sense for both sides to want to do the deal.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.