What are IRA individuals demanding on loans??

3 Replies

Just curious what IRA lenders that loan money out are getting or wanting for return and duration??

I am not talking about companies that up fees but a direct individual loaning out their IRA money on a property to an investor.

I only have a few friends that are actively loaning IRA money, but I think 10-12% with 3 Points is what I have recently seen. Perhaps you could negotiate something long term that is better. What were you looking for or expecting?

@Joel Owens

Here are couple samples of loans that I made out of my 401k:

1) $30K, 2nd position (I normally don't do 2nd but this is to investor I know well personally and property has over $50K in equity on top of my loan so I would not mind taking the property in case of default), 10%, interest only, 5-year term

2) $43K, 1st position (property worth about $75K), 9% interest rate, amortized over 15 years, note term 2 years. I received 4 points.

Interesting.

There is a commercial project I am looking at right now. Lot's of upside. HML's want 30% down of whatever you buy it at regardless of it's value.

Example you could buy something for 600k that is currently worth 1 million and the seller is highly motivated. The HML's do not care and want 30% down of purchase price. I see it more of the buyer is preserving cash to turn around the property. If the loan defaults the lender can easily resell.

If a borrower has to put 30% down and place a ton of money to get the place leased up that is a huge cash call and over slanted for the lender. I think there are overly slanted lenders demands, over slanted borrower demands, and then middle ground that makes sense for both sides to want to do the deal.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here