Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Bradley N.
  • Alden, KS
Votes |
Why is the broker required to sign the "Contract Release - Earnest Money Disposition Request Form"

Bradley N.
  • Alden, KS
Posted May 21 2015, 14:37

I am under contract to buy a HUD home as an O/O. I had an inspector meet me at the property and he believes I have a termite issue. I am having a termite inspector out next week to confirm and give a repair estimate. But I am under a deadline. I only have a few days to get the termite inspection report and get it back to HUD people.

What worries me is the deadline. And the fact that, even though buyer agents are supposed to be protecting you, they seem not really to care anything about the home buyer, other than the sale being completed so that they get paid.

I've alerted my agent to the possible termite infestation issue and all the agent replied with was that the termite issue can be fixed.  I might have responded, "at what cost and how do you know it's fixed for sure". But I simply let her know my opinion that a treatment does not guarantee a resolution to the problem.

So, I have to seriously consider cancelling my contract once this is verified by the proper people.

So back to the original question. If my broker dawdles around long enough because he/she doesn't want the contract cancelled for termite infestation(or any other reason) and doesn't get the signed form back in time, because honestly, what good is that for the buyer agent, what happens then?

It seems so backward to require the signature of the broker in this type of situation. You put the broker in the awkward position of cutting their own throat, so to speak. Does anybody think differently than I do?

Loading replies...