Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Kristen Martin
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hughson, Ca
Votes |
who's home owners insurance covers this?

Kristen Martin
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Hughson, Ca
Posted May 25 2015, 13:22

Okay, here's my terrible transaction story: My husband and I listed our house for sale in early March. We immediately found a home we loved and wanted to purchase, so we made an offer, contingent upon the sale of our home. A few days later, we received an offer, 2k below asking...we accepted. Full steam ahead. The appraisal for our house came back 20k under our sales price...which was crazy. Our house was priced very well. The buyers said they would only offer the appraised value, so our deal fell apart. A few days went by....they contacted our agent again to say that they still wanted the house, but only for appraised value. Thank you, no. Another week passes and they decide to offer 5k below our original accepted sales price. Under the gun to keep our new house....we accept. Our agents drew a new contract....and neglected to mark the box saying we'd need 3-5 days after close of escrow to vacate.(our original contract had it, so we assumed the new one did too. Never assume) So.....The buyer is furious the day of closing. They demanded keys that day. ...but we, obviously had too much work to be able to vacate that day. On top of that....Our new home hadn't closed yet! So, we recorded the next morning, I got the keys, and started bringing stuff over. About midday, I get a call from my agent saying the buyer had found a way into the house and was planning on packing up the rest of our things himself!! My husband and I rush home to find him there, with the locks changed., throwing our belongings into boxes. We had both our daughters with us, and didn't want to frighten them so, we calmly asked when we could pick up our things and be gone. As we started to look around....we noticed that several of our big ticket electronics were missing.  He claimed that the door was open when he arrived,  and boxed everything that was in the house.  We played along...but I had serious doubts about his story. We immediately filed a police report...and are now preparing to file a home owners ins claim. This story is a tangled one...what path do we pursue? 

Loading replies...