Agent or no agent

3 Replies

Im looking into buying a  new construction home.  Do I need an Real Estate Agent or not to help me out with this process?

It doesn't hurt to have one.  The commission that an agent gets is paid by the seller, so its no cost to you, so why not.  If you get a decent agent it should be a good help to you.

Would you represent yourself in court?

Why would you not want an agent who has your best interests in mind?  Just because the home is new, doesn't mean the transaction will be flawless that will you'll need someone on your side.  I have personally seen builders do things, that without an agent the buyers would have lost $10K earnest money.  

Representation for buyer is typically paid by seller as well.

FYI - I also advise on home inspection for a new home...Seen a brand new home with stairs, that didn't meet code.  They had to be replaced (at builders expense).  This would have possibly been discovered years down the road when buyer sold home...costing him then.

There's no downside to having someone represent your interests. The agents working subdivisions are working for the builders. The fact you need to ask the question means you aren't sure of the whole process, so YES! get an agent.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here