Next step in starting REI career

1 Reply

Hey all,

I'm new to the REI world, and I'm looking for advice on what you would do if you were in my shoes. I am 21years old and hoping to one day rely on real estate income to allow financial freedom.

I am currently in the process of selling my first house, that I purchased a year ago and fixed up a little. I have a deal in the works, that should leave me with around34k in the bank. 

I'll be purchasing a new home for around 340000$, which will be my SFH. I plan on renting out 2 basement bedrooms which will bring in around 1100$ per month.

The average home in my town sells for around 415000$, and a cheaper older half duplex runs 210k. We are in very hot town, in a small slump with the housing market down a bit. But things should be at an all time high come this time next year, with all the projects that will be coming into our town. 

So my question stands...

Would you dedicate the entire 34k to a down payment on the SFH and build equity until I can save the 20% down on an invest? Or only do the 5% down, and invest in a mobile home, which will run around 55k, with pad fees around 500$ a month and interest at 3.5%

Thanks!

@Tell Szpp I'm working mobile homes right now and I would be cautious about approaching the mobile home scenario the same way you would a single family home. Banks don't treat them so well as they start to age. 

I think if you're planning to rely on cash flow to sustain you you could either do some lease-option deals or similar seller financing or pickup that investment property with nice rental income.

Personally, if it were me I'd do one of two things. Spread that 34k over a couple different mobile homes(I say this for me since that's the niche I'm working) or use part of it on a down payment and the rest to fix up a home. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you