uncooperative agent with a short sale

7 Replies

Hi BP I have a situation and need some advice on how to deal with it...

I'm interested in a property that is up for sale with a short sale. The agent held an open house. I went and it seems like he wanted me to use his guy for financing. I told him I will be using my mortgage guy.. Now I call and he doesn't pick up or return  messages. 

Is there another way to acquire this property?  Do I have to go through him? 

Unfortunately you do have to go through him. Have another realtor inquire about the availability. If it is still available have contact the broker. Short sales are a LONG process if the realtor is already being difficult you may want to continue looking.

One legitimate reason he wants you to use his guy is so he can get a good idea if you are truly qualified to obtain a mortgage.  Most prequal letters are not worth the paper they are  written on.  Often times on a short sale orREO you'll be required to be preapproved by a certain lender, that they trust, before they will consider your offer.  I agree completely with this position.

Will,

How close are you to the agent's office? Is the agent local? Can you visit it has his/her office? Call his/her office and ask for his/her typical hours and meet them in person. Offer him/her lunch or coffee. This can go without being said, but we all know people are less likely to say "no" to you in person. 

Secondly, entertain his mortgage person. Talk to him/her. There is no harm in having another horse in your race. You don't have to make a decision any time soon. ESPECIALLY IN A SHORT SALE. lol. If anything, this will allow you to compare your mortgage person to his/her. Keep each person honest and ultimately allows to apples to apples. Look at APR rates which includes fee structure and not just teaser interest rates.

Best of luck my man! Hope this helps

Femin 

Will,

How close are you to the agent's office? Is the agent local? Can you visit has his/her office? Call his/her office and ask for his/her typical hours and meet them in person. Offer him/her lunch or coffee. This can go without being said, but we all know people are less likely to say "no" to you in person. 

Secondly, entertain his mortgage person. Talk to him/her. There is no harm in having another horse in your race. You don't have to make a decision any time soon. ESPECIALLY IN A SHORT SALE. lol. If anything, this will allow you to compare your mortgage person to his/her. Keep each person honest and ultimately allows you to compare apples to apples. Look at APR rates which includes fee structure and not just teaser interest rates.

Best of luck my man! Hope this helps

Femin 

If you're really interested in the property get a pre-approval from his lender and then use your own financing for the deal...pre approval doens't mean you're tied to that lender.  He most likely just doesn't want to tie up the property for several months to find out you aren't qualified.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here