Real estate agent as a hobby?

2 Replies

Hi everyone,

I currently work in the loan originating world side by side with a top grossing loan officer. As I find my job a great resource for information and learning about mortgages, loan types, appraisals, current Fannie/Freddie laws etc, etc. I got the idea about possibly getting my real estate license to sell maybe 2-5 homes a year. I have the flexibility to meet customer demands, what I'm curious about is whether being an agent requires me to be employed by someone or can I run the show alone? I have a lot of recourses and I also am not doing it for a career. Just want to make some money occasionally!

Appreciate any feedback I can get!

It may be different in Arizona but its probably not too different. Here in CO every agent has to work under a managing broker for at least 2 years before starting their own company. Now with that said, there are managing broker out there, in fact I would say quite a few brokers out there, could care less if you had 10 sales or 1 sale. So you can absolutely do it as a hobby.

Something you would need to be careful and you should probably talk to a lawyer about is how it would work if you were both an agent and a loan officer as it could be seen as a conflict of interest, especially if your clients were using your mortgage broker.

Hi @Collin Smith,

That is great advice! Also a relief, I'm just using the loan origination for networking and my loan officer because he's very seasoned in this business. I also feel like it helps me walk people through the loan process. I wouldn't originate their loans but I would be able to prepare people well. I think! Thanks again!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here