General Liability Insurance- Florida

6 Replies

I am in the process of buying my first duplex the closing is tomorrow. Based upon advice from my attorney, I started an LLC and am putting the property under the LLC. I called my insurance agent to tell him I am closing tomorrow and that I will be moving forward with the insurance he had quoted to me. The problem is this: All of the companies he works with will not provide liability insurance for an LLC. They will cover the building, contents, etc. but no liability. He told me to shop for a general liability policy. I have made a couple of calls and was shocked to get quotes for $1000/ per year. On this site I have seen many investors state they have general liability coverage for about $150 a year. Please send the names of some companies I should contact for more reasonable liability coverage.

I would love to find one that cheap as I currently pay $700+ for my GL policies. Any info as to cheaper options would be great!

The $150's are not in Florida.  But $1000 or $700 seems a bit high too.  I would need more information, but with a duplex in West Palm for GL only, I'm seeing an indication of $296 for a duplex, subject to a minimum premium of $550 ($50 of which is in a fee).  What that means is you could have 1 duplex for $550, but adding another duplex would only be about $642.

Other states about $80 would be a normal pricing.  But FL it is not.

Hi Derek,

I have separate policies for each of my properties and I pay around $700 for each per year. Does this mean that I can bundle the properties all under one policy? They are each titled under a different LLC. This would be a huge money saver for me if I can bundle.

Carlos, 

Looking back through old posts on this topic I believe the investors who were speaking of the policy for $150 were referring to umbrella policies.

Debra

Debra, I am in FL as well. Have you found a good company for the GL insurance, my lender is requiring 1M/2M aggregate. Joe, Tampa/St Pete

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here