benefits of home inspection

3 Replies

Is there any benefit of doing a home inspection for a buyer. The seller already got a home inspection done. It seems like a waste of time and money. What will a buyer's home inspector do that a seller's home inspector hasn't

Likewise for termite inspector.

I see you're from Sunnyvale.  If you're buying in the NorCal market, the seller did a home inspection for you so that your offer wouldn't be "Contingent on inspection."   We're still in the "No contingency" seller's market here.

They are probably unhappy with the home inspection they got and want another third party. Sounds a little strange they would want you to provide one since they've already done one. They are maybe trying to get as much ammo against you on the property as possible. 

I would agree that a second home inspection can be done at the homebuyers cost. No reason you should have to pay for another if one was done already.

Because you don't want a home inspection done with the seller as the client.  The Home Inspector is biased towards their client and protecting their interests.  If you can't or won't walk around the house with the Home Inspector and see the problems that they point out, how do you know and trust the validity of the inspection?  Why even bother looking at the Report, the seller is going to be honest with you, right?  Just take their word for anything that might be wrong with the property.

To be a little less abrasive, look at it as a simple numbers game, is it worth the $400 to have someone who is working as an agent for you to inspect a $100K Home? That's .4% of the purchase price. At 200k you are at .2%.  It gives you the opportunity to better plan and manage your ongoing capital expense line items and make better decisions.

And just for a third thought here, would you rather have a report on a property from someone whose client base is usually word of mouth from other sellers or listing agents, "Oh this guy is great, he helps me close deals." Or one whose business is from helping people from buying money pits.  I personally would want the guy who realtors hate, because he sinks deals because he is protecting his client.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here