Newbie Questions from this Week's Podcast

3 Replies

Hello, 

I'm new to Bigger Pockets. I started listening to the podcast recently. In this week's episode Anca brought up a couple items I could you some clarity on. If you can provide any guidance it is appreciated. 

1) How does one get access to the MLS?

a) Once one gets his broker liscense how can one get MLS access?

b) Are MLS' regional or is there a nation MLS system?

2) Anca mentioned the 203k loan. From her comments and comments from the host it appears that they are able to get this type of loan without actually occupying the property even though the loan is intended for owner occupyers.

a) Is it common for owners use a 203k financing and not occupy the building?

b) Are there any issues with using a 203k loan and not occupying the building?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

@Ben Doran

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Consider sending messages to other members which is my favorite part of the website.

you must occupy the property when using a 203k. Its one of the major requirements of the 203k. The duration you must live in the property is the right question to ask. 

Hi Ben:

RE: the MLS, To get direct access you will have to get your real estate license. This usually involves taking a course and passing a test. You then will look for a broker to hang your license with. As a new licensee, look for a broker who has a comprehensive training program. The broker will be a member of the local realtor association in your area and you get direct access to MLS through your broker. The MLS systems are regional. As a member of a local association you will have access to the National Association of Realtors (NAR), Realtors Property Resource (RPR) which is pretty much nationwide. Currently, brokers are permitted to "opt out" of RPR so the information is not totally accurate. In my local area, our largest independently owned real estate firm does not participate in RPR so many of the listings aren't included.

In most jurisdictions, you will start out as an agent. In my state, I think we must be active agents for 3 years before we can get a brokers license. 

I am fairly certain sites like Trulia and Zillow are a few days behind the local MLS in getting listings out to the general public. The MLS has a wealth of detailed information and market statistics.

I hope this helps. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here