Fuse Electrical Panel

3 Replies

Hi everyone,

Currently looking at a 2 unit property in PA and one of the units has a fuse electrical panel. I have very little electrical knowledge but my gut instinct is that this may be a problem. Anyone have any insight/experience on fuse paneling? 

Thanks

Joe 

i certainly wouldn't want a fuse box. It all depends on your market, though. Around my area, if I bought a house with a fuse box, upgrading to a modern breaker panel would be on my "must do" list.

Additionally, if the house is still using a fuse box, I'd be concerned about the age and condition of the rest of the electrical wiring in the house.

Everything can be fixed for a price, though, so you just need to know what work needs to be done. If you're new to this, hire an inspector to go through the house with you and check all this stuff out. It will be money well spent.

The reason we do not use these type panels any more is that once a fuse trips you must buy a new one where as with a breaker you just need to reset it. There are some problems with having a fuse type panel. Here are some of the issues you may find with a screw type fuse panels. 

1) the fuse maybe the wrong size. Meaning that the wire is rated for 15 amps but the fuse is a 30 amp. 

2) there maybe more then one wire tied to the fuse. Over the years someone might have added wire to the panel but there is no more space to do this so they tie it to an existing circuit.  

3) more then likely the electrical system is ungrounded. Devices like GFCI'S will not work or provide protection. Due to no ground. 

4) because of these issues the electrical systems is at greater risk to fail. Which will result  in higher cost of repairs or loss of property. 

5) insurance companies usually charge higher premiums to insure property. After panel has been changed insurance premiums may be reduced. 

Other then these issues if the electrical system has been properly maintained these systems are as safe as any other electrical systems.