Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
David Miller
  • Editor / Producer
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
a realtor found an FSBO. i called owner, set up deal. commission or finder's fee?

David Miller
  • Editor / Producer
  • Asheville, NC
Posted Jul 10 2015, 05:55

my situation is like this: 

1. i've been working informally with an agent whom i like very much. she's mentioned a couple of pocket listings to me and shown me a few houses (~4). however, we've never signed any paperwork. 

2. she mentioned a house in my target neighborhood that's FSBO. i told her i was interested in learning more but didn't hear back from her the next day. so i took the initiative and looked at the house, called the owner and set up a time to meet with him.

3. the property is by far the best potential deal i've seen so far, and as soon as i started talking to the owner, all my instinct told me 'i just need to do business one to one with this guy. having a realtor is just going to get in the way here.' 

4. however, i don't want to jeopardize my relationship with this agent in the future. she seems like the right 'scout' (and agent for future properties that come through the MLS) on my team.

my instinct is to just be upfront and tell her i what happened, and that i want to pursue this one on my own and it if goes through, give her a finder's fee of $1,000. 

thoughts? what do i do BP friends?

Loading replies...