General contractor needed

7 Replies

Hello everyone!

My name is Nick and I am a new investor. I closed on my first rehab project this week and need some help. I thought I had lined up a contractor for this project but this is not the case. I failed to ask the correct questions to ensure he would be willing/able to work on my project. 

However, I am not here to rant about contractors. I need help finding a great group of contractors willing/able to work on a rehab project in North Minneapolis in the very near future. I have a scope of work complete and ready to share with potential contractors. I am willing to partner with the correct people to ensure this project is done efficiently and correctly. Please reach out to me for more specific details on the project. 

Basic info:

3230 Humboldt Ave. N, Minneapolis, MN

$130,000 ARV

$50,500 purchase

$34,500 budgeted for repairs.

I look forward to hearing from the minds on this roadblock on my path!!

Nick

Hey Nick it's Trudy Petersen from Minneapolis.  I may have a name for you....someone who did work in my home a few years ago and who is working with a friend of mine who buys and sells homes.  At the very least if he's not available, he may be able to refer you to someone.  I'll check in with him if you'd like.

@Account Closed , would you mind passing his information on to me as well? I'm looking for a good contractor for rehab items I don't handle myself or through my current network of subs.

@Nick Wight

I would make sure to get 3 bids, check out their current/past projects in person, and do all the other due diligence necessary before hiring anyone (criminal/civil record, insurance, etc.). It's hard to find good contractors these days at a fair price because their is a lot of work to be had. Best of luck. 

Cheers, Sawyer 

Go to one of the local hardware stores and ask for a list of referrals - they may have several contractors, some GC's and several trade contractors like plumbers, etc. that their customers have given positive feedback on, and work in your local market. No doubt these customers were not flipping their property like you are, but it is worth a try in my opinion. 

Ditto on what @Sawyer Lubke  posted about your due diligence. Just because these contractors come with references from customers at the hardware store doesn't mean they will be a good fit for you.

I hope this helps - Good luck!

Originally posted by @Sawyer Lubke :

@Nick Wight

I would make sure to get 3 bids, check out their current/past projects in person, and do all the other due diligence necessary before hiring anyone (criminal/civil record, insurance, etc.). It's hard to find good contractors these days at a fair price because their is a lot of work to be had. Best of luck. 

Cheers, Sawyer 

Very good advice on the due diligence Sawyer. Thank you!

Originally posted by @DuWayne Jones :

Go to one of the local hardware stores and ask for a list of referrals - they may have several contractors, some GC's and several trade contractors like plumbers, etc. that their customers have given positive feedback on, and work in your local market. No doubt these customers were not flipping their property like you are, but it is worth a try in my opinion. 

Ditto on what @Sawyer Lubke  posted about your due diligence. Just because these contractors come with references from customers at the hardware store doesn't mean they will be a good fit for you.

I hope this helps - Good luck!

Great tip on asking the local hardware stores for referrals. Thanks DuWayne!

Nick Wight agree with everyone above. Three estimates minimum is a good general rule. Even look through Craigslist for GCs who are offering free estimates. Of course due diligence before you decide to move ahead with any certain contractor is a must. If all goes according to plan, then you will find a great GC who can give you a good estimate while staying within budget and provides great work. Then you won't have to do go through the trouble of finding another GC again and have added someone invaluable to your team!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you