That moment when you Google Map a potential property

11 Replies

That moment when you Google Map a potential property and as you go to street view you see a scuffle in the making along with a bunch of cops and onlookers.  I guess I shouldn't consider the property anymore.  What do you think? haha

I wouldn't write off a property for just one scuffle! But that is hilarious. I once had a call where the client had a rolled Geo Metro in the backyard covered in spray paint. 

That's a pretty funny one too.  I can only imagine what stuff people have seen out there.  My favorite was an appraisal we got back that had something floating in the toilet.  The appraiser obviously took the picture so you could see it too LOL.  I'm guessing that is how he entertains himself during the work days haha

@Jeffrey Giffin

We just recently received a call from our direct mail campaign and it was promising.  I googled the house and it was half burnt down!  Looks like a major fire in the garage.  I was immediately turned down.  I already scheduled to go see it so figured I would stop by anyways because I had another appointment in the area.  Come to find out most of the demo and construction has already been done.  It still needed work but the numbers were still doable.  Google maps is not always accurate!

Life (real estate) is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get!  - Forest Gump

Originally posted by @Ryan Billingsley :

@Jeffrey Giffin

We just recently received a call from our direct mail campaign and it was promising.  I googled the house and it was half burnt down!  Looks like a major fire in the garage.  I was immediately turned down.  I already scheduled to go see it so figured I would stop by anyways because I had another appointment in the area.  Come to find out most of the demo and construction has already been done.  It still needed work but the numbers were still doable.  Google maps is not always accurate!

Life (real estate) is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get!  - Forest Gump

HA!  That's a great story and a good lesson learned.  In all honesty I wasn't really considering the property anyway but I decided to check it out on Google Maps just for fun and when I saw that it made me laugh.  The numbers aren't where they need to be for me so I decided to pass. 

How about an inflatable "friend" in the recliner in the living room (true story). Do those add to the property value? LOL.

Originally posted by @Jeffrey Giffin :

That moment when you Google Map a potential property and as you go to street view you see a scuffle in the making along with a bunch of cops and onlookers.  I guess I shouldn't consider the property anymore.  What do you think? haha

You going to leave us hanging like that?  Post the photo.  Lol

I love Google street view.  I use it all the time when researching properties - especially the ones scheduled for tax deed auction.  It's a quick way to check out the neighborhood and whether there's even a structure on the lot.

My favorite street view photo so far though is my own.  I actually viewed one of my rentals on street view and saw myself in front of the house meeting with some prospective tenants back when it was for rent. Never even noticed the Google car go by.  :)

Originally posted by @Kyle J. :
Originally posted by @Jeffrey Giffin:

That moment when you Google Map a potential property and as you go to street view you see a scuffle in the making along with a bunch of cops and onlookers.  I guess I shouldn't consider the property anymore.  What do you think? haha

You going to leave us hanging like that?  Post the photo.  Lol

I love Google street view.  I use it all the time when researching properties - especially the ones scheduled for tax deed auction.  It's a quick way to check out the neighborhood and whether there's even a structure on the lot.

My favorite street view photo so far though is my own.  I actually viewed one of my rentals on street view and saw myself in front of the house meeting with some prospective tenants back when it was for rent. Never even noticed the Google car go by.  :)

 Haha that's awesome!  I'll post a pic later tonight when I get home 

Originally posted by @Kyle J. :

You going to leave us hanging like that?  Post the photo.  Lol

I love Google street view.  I use it all the time when researching properties - especially the ones scheduled for tax deed auction.  It's a quick way to check out the neighborhood and whether there's even a structure on the lot.

My favorite street view photo so far though is my own.  I actually viewed one of my rentals on street view and saw myself in front of the house meeting with some prospective tenants back when it was for rent. Never even noticed the Google car go by.  :)

Here you go Kyle!  haha

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.742455,-75.58324,3a,75y,208.64h,82.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJmy1ncUiMCnG6-EUOWpu9Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Originally posted by @Jeffrey Giffin :
Originally posted by @Kyle J.:

You going to leave us hanging like that?  Post the photo.  Lol

I love Google street view.  I use it all the time when researching properties - especially the ones scheduled for tax deed auction.  It's a quick way to check out the neighborhood and whether there's even a structure on the lot.

My favorite street view photo so far though is my own.  I actually viewed one of my rentals on street view and saw myself in front of the house meeting with some prospective tenants back when it was for rent. Never even noticed the Google car go by.  :)

Here you go Kyle!  haha

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.742455,-75.58324,3...

Must have been quite a show!  In addition to all the people on the property, there appears to be people watching from their porch across the street and even more people walking up from some of the side streets.  :)

I did a little research and it looks like it was a double shooting.  Here's a story on it in case you didn't already have it: http://m.wdel.com/story.php?id=62591

Originally posted by @Kyle J. :

Must have been quite a show!  In addition to all the people on the property, there appears to be people watching from their porch across the street and even more people walking up from some of the side streets.  :)

I did a little research and it looks like it was a double shooting.  Here's a story on it in case you didn't already have it: http://m.wdel.com/story.php?id=62591 

Wow Kyle...GREAT research!  I didn't even think it would be something that bad.  That's more than a scuffle!

I love Google Maps gaffs..  

What's wrong with this picture?  Might have to right click - "View Image"

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.