Buying Direct from Builder - No Agents - First Time Home Buyer

6 Replies

Hi All, 

First post here and did some research without any luck.. We are newlyweds and this is out first home buying experience, hoping you can help steer us in the right direction.

I am in a position where I am buying a new construction SFH directly from the builder, without agents involved. The house is 95% finalized and the COO is a few weeks away.

My questions are:

• We are in the state of CA so a real estate attorney is not required. Do you recommend for us to use a Real Estate Attorney? If so, what services should we contract from the attorney?
  • Any other insights or recommended readings would be highly appreciated

Thank you all in advance!

Also, I want to close with him tomorrow is there a basic purchase letter template that I can use that states his acceptance to sell and hold the property? 

There are still a few inspections that need to be finalized before COO.

Searched quite a bit more last night on this forum, found the "FSBO contract" turned out some decent results.

Would still like some input regarding purchase sell agreements and if anyone has a template, that would be great. Thank you

@Andy P. Not sure if brave is the word that comes into my mind. I would strongly recommend that you find representation. An experienced realtor might be fine or an attorney. The big question is, will you get all that you are paying for? Unless the builder is your brother, my guess would be no. 

Hello,

As a Realtor & Broker, I cannot stand up to the builder and tell them the fees are ridiculous, since they pay us 4% commission and the fees are legal, just higher than normal transactions. Based on that, you should find a RE Attorney and ask for a review of all docs, including the survey. Make sure you are buying the right property! There are mistakes, and you Realtor usually checks the HUD, survey,etc, so in this case definately the attorney, and have him review the warranty paperwork to make sure you have everything promised.

The builder should have access to the Real Estate forms for CA.   Great question for the lawyer.    Have the builder pay for the attorney also,  if they balk, tell them it is way cheaper than paying your Realtor 4%.        

@Andy P.

You should find representation ASAP in the form of a Realtor experienced in new construction in your area. The seller should pay their commission and fees. I've seen people get raked over the coals buying direct from builders. Let your agent check the deed recordings and see how much the guy down the street really paid. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here