Section 8 in Philadelphia

7 Replies

Hi BP Forum,

I am looking to begin investing in section 8 approved properties in and around Philadelphia and wanted to hear from current investors about up or downsides. Thanks!

What area in Philadelphia are you looking to rent specifically? 

Im Looking in the Germantown, Mount Airy area.

@Sean Thompson I am not sure if you are interested in investing in homes that are currently Section 8 approved or you are planning to purchase homes and then put them into the Section 8 system.  In either case you are required to take a Section 8 landlord course as your first step if you property is not Section 8 approved.  Once you have completed this course you can then start the process to getting your residence inspected, qualified, and place into the PHA database.  When it comes to purchasing a home with Section 8 tenants in place, I have no experience here so I can't say how the process works.  However, I would think that once you have completed the landlord course, your information would be transferred to PHA's database, without the need for another home inspection.  Hopefully, another BP'er with direct experience in purchasing Section  8 will provide you with specifics.

Originally posted by @Paulette Midgette :

@Sean Thompson I am not sure if you are interested in investing in homes that are currently Section 8 approved or you are planning to purchase homes and then put them into the Section 8 system.  In either case you are required to take a Section 8 landlord course as your first step if you property is not Section 8 approved.  Once you have completed this course you can then start the process to getting your residence inspected, qualified, and place into the PHA database.  When it comes to purchasing a home with Section 8 tenants in place, I have no experience here so I can't say how the process works.  However, I would think that once you have completed the landlord course, your information would be transferred to PHA's database, without the need for another home inspection.  Hopefully, another BP'er with direct experience in purchasing Section  8 will provide you with specifics.

Do you know what the qualifications are for section 8?  What will the home inspection look for? Is there a checklist that you know of that I can see online somewhere?  I tried looking at the website for Philly, but couldn't find what I want to know. Thanks!

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

Hey Guys,

I am looking to purchase properties that i can renovate and then get certified as section 8 properties. I have started the process, and if you go to www.pha.phila.gov you can get all of the information, its under the housing section and housing choice voucher section. You have to attend two sessions at the PHA office before you can get an appointment to get any houses approved. It seems to be a lengthy process but you do get two year contracts signed with PHA (unless the eligibility of your tenant changes). The requirements for the inspection are listed on the website.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you