finding buyers for owner carry properties

7 Replies

I have a nice 3204 SF house that was built in 04. I'm willing to owner carry, but so far only tire kickers or people with only a 2k to put down. That's not even enough for closing, and insurance. The home is move in ready and very nice. 

If you're looking to stay in area you could do a lease option. Lots of great article to read on what those are and how they work. But the gist would be to get a 5-10K non-refundable option fee and lease the property to them at the same time. The option fee can be their earnest money for when they decide (if they choose to) buy the property from you.

You are in TX 

Do a Lease Purchase

Create the S and P at the same time.

Lease plus Sale and Purchase.

Or Do a Lease plus ROFR.

I have found that nice houses are really easy to sell with owner financing, unless they are way overpriced or the terms are unreasonable. 

What marketing have you done so far?

I am in Texas. I have the property on craigslist and the thrifty nickel.

@Joel S.

What is your goal for the property; do you want to take maximum cash out, get a high sales price, sell quickly, maintain long term cash flow, etc.  Each goal will have a different strategy that will best help achieve it. 

Is there a mortgage?  This can affect your risk when doing a Lease Option of longer than 6 months.

The more you tell us, the better the suggestions will be.  Remember, there are no easy answers (at least no easy good ones ;-)  ) and they always depend on the situation.

@Joel S.

There is lots of ways to sell your property especially if you are willing to owner carry. But it is important for you to know what you want to accomplish. While we have bought properties in El Paso, we have bought nothing in your neck of the woods. But usually, I also buy homes with minimal down as there are a lot of owners that just do not want the headache of managing a house and renters. We typically have a balloon clause 5 - 8 years in the future and take care of the home completely as we re-lease but take care of all maintenance and repairs.  The only reason I mention this is to show that you should be able to find a reputable person that could do the same for you locally as sometimes you just have to think outside the box. Sometimes you just have to focus on your goal and not get hung up on the money for the deal to work. Of course, it also depends on the type of neighborhood your house is in and the condition of it as you show it. Both are intangibles that I do not know. 

@Joel S.

You may want to contact buyers agents is that specialize with just buyers

Be willing to pay the buyers agent 3%

Ask the buyers agent for someone who has credit that just missed FHA financing and has ten percent down

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.