Gaining access to a boarded house

Gaining access to a boarded house

Real Estate Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I have written permission from an owner to go into their house to see it before making an offer as a short sale. However, the house is boarded up and the owner now lives across the country.  Any thoughts on how I could legally get into the house? Can I remove (and then reinstall) the board myself and use a locksmith to get into the doors? Should I involve the town? Thanks in advance for any advice 

0Reply
8 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Paul Zimmermann:

    I have written permission from an owner to go into their house to see it before making an offer as a short sale. However, the house is boarded up and the owner now lives across the country.  Any thoughts on how I could legally get into the house? Can I remove (and then reinstall) the board myself and use a locksmith to get into the doors? Should I involve the town? Thanks in advance for any advice 

     The seller's written word is king.  I'd "break in" with seller's permission in my pocket.  Be careful for squatters and angry raccoons.  Try to secure it when you leave.

  • Professional · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 34 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Paul Zimmermann:

    I have written permission from an owner to go into their house to see it before making an offer as a short sale. However, the house is boarded up and the owner now lives across the country.  Any thoughts on how I could legally get into the house? Can I remove (and then reinstall) the board myself and use a locksmith to get into the doors? Should I involve the town? Thanks in advance for any advice 

    You may have to clarify. You need to make an offer as a short sale but the property is boarded? By who? The bank? Is this a property that is or was recently habited or the seller was paying a mortagage on an uninhabitable property?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Better know who boarded up the place, the owner, the bank, planning & zoning, building regs, health department.....who?

    And no, the owner's word isn't always king. 

    I'd also stop by the police station and inform them of what you are doing and show them your written consent, they might laugh if it isn't a formal notarized consent. 

    You could sit in jail after the little old lady across the street calls the cops, trespassing and breaking and entering while they sort things out. I wouldn't go on a Friday evening either!

  • Real Estate Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed I think you convinced me to go the conservative route on this one! 

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    @Paul Zimmermann

    Yep, that lien tells you who done it!

    Track down the city office responsible for the matter.

    Often, administrative actions go through the municipal court or fall under ordinances that give court orders, those orders may include no trespassing. 

    Forget the police, go to that office. I'd also ask if an inspector would go through with me as to any code violations needed to bring the property into service. Good luck :) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.