Widowed seller wants to give me all appliances for free, but I feel so bad taking them. Should I offer money?

5 Replies

That is very nice of him. Take them, give him a big thank you, and if you can do any small thing on top of letting him stay a couple of days to show your gratitude do it. 

Maybe he doesn't have anywhere to take the appliances and it will cost him money to store them.  You could be helping him out.  If  you do decide to give him some money, wait until after he is all moved out.  That way, if he takes longer than originally agreed, you don't feel bad about taking the appliances.  

Originally posted by @John Thedford :

That is very nice of him. Take them, give him a big thank you, and if you can do any small thing on top of letting him stay a couple of days to show your gratitude do it. 

Any ideas on what that small thing could be? I like that idea as well

My main guilt is due to the fact that he could easily sell all of these on craigslist or something and get around $2,000 total for it, which could greatly help his financial situation.

I agree with Alex. If he's moving in with someone or into a place that is already equipped, then the appliances may be more of a hassle than a benefit to him at this point. If you want to be nice (and it never hurts to be nice, but you need to get the business part done first) then wait til he's out and slip him some $ with a note saying that you really feel you should pay him something for those nice appliances. I'm sure he'll appreciate it, and you'll feel better about it too. But, as I said, get the deal done first- and that includes getting him moved out. I'm not saying it will turn messy or you'll have trouble getting him out, but things like that can sometimes happen.

Originally posted by @Emily Knowles :
Originally posted by @John Thedford:

Any ideas on what that small thing could be? I like that idea as well

My main guilt is due to the fact that he could easily sell all of these on craigslist or something and get around $2,000 total for it, which could greatly help his financial situation.

Then tell him your opinion and see what he says. Give him 500 and tell him thanks for being so kind. If being in business ever becomes only about the money..I will quit.